It is really a truism: The depletion of non-renewable resources, especially rare minerals and metals, threatens our and our childrens‘ future. How to cope with resources? N³ was responsible for scientific support and recording of the European Resources Forum (ERF) and its German equivalent (Nationales Ressourcenforum – NRF) hosted by the Umweltbundesamt. About 400 experts from all the world joined the ERF (November, 26-27) and about 300 mostly German visitors joined the NRF (November, 28). Svenja Schulze, German Minister for Environmentals Affairs, opened the ERF. Topics discussed:
- Experiences from energy and resource efficient industry
- Optimization of resource recovery by eco-design of products
- Need for a global resource convention
- Introduction of an environmental tax reform for Europe
- How to achieve minimization of GHG emissions while reducing resource consumption?